Flowers, green beans, and the first fall greens!
Happy Thursday - and happy Fall! This is one of those rare years when the weather truly matches the beginning of the new season.
Over the next week or two, we'll finish harvesting tomatoes and eggplant. Peppers and string beans should last a tad longer, neither will survive a true frost. Luckily, the fall crops are finally coming in! Pea shoots, collard greens, chard, and kale are ready this week. Winter squash will be ready next week. Sweet potatoes will be ready in mid-October. Fall flowers are going strong, we have plenty of honey, and a new selection of hard and soft wheat flours.
Your business supports several local, sustainable farms and a vibrant community of people who take great pride in growing nutritious food. All items are grown in Maryland - most within 20 miles of the markets. Everything is grown according to the rules of the National Organic Program. Honey is raw (not heat pasteurized) from bee hives in Silver Spring, Ashton, Laurel, and Brookeville. Grains are from fields in Ashton, Beltsville, Newburg, and Leonardtown (Leonardtown is furthest away - it's ~60 miles south of DC). Here's what you'll find at the farm stands this week:
- Cut Flowers (Tanglewood Flower Farm in Ashton)
- Large mixed bouquets, small arrangements in jars, bunches of multi-colored celosia.
- Grains (Purple Mountain Grown in Takoma Park)
- Old fashioned rolled oats, oat groats, rye flour, soft wheat flour, and hard wheat flour.
- Honey (Charlie's Bees in Silver Spring)
- Raw (not heat pasteurized) honey from hives at small farms in Ashton, Brookeville, Laurel, and Silver Spring.
- Vegetables and Herbs
- Italian basil (Blueberry Gardens and Tanglewood Flower Farm in Ashton)
- Greens (Blueberry Gardens and Somerset Produce in Ashton)
- Pea shoots (Somerset Produce in Sandy Spring)
- Peppers (Somerset Produce in Ashton)
- Hot peppers: adjuma, Bulgarian carrot, cayenne, habanero, and lemon drop
- Green and purple peppers
- Sweet peppers: mini and full sized varieties in red and orange
- Potatoes (Somerset Produce in Ashton) - Purple Majesty (purple skin, purple flesh), and Harvest Moon (purple skin, gold flesh).
- String beans (Blueberry Gardens in Ashton)
I think that's everything!
You can find this bounty at one of our markets and you can order online!
I hope you're well and to see you at the farm stand :)
Thank you for your support.