Flowers, hot peppers, potatoes, tomatoes....
The cloudy weather we're having is delaying things in the fields. I feel a bit like a broken record when I say that the tomatoes and peppers are ripening at a snail's pace and the fall crops aren't quite ready yet! If we can make it through the next few weeks with our spirits unbroken, good things will come....
Meanwhile, we have some beautiful new flowers (I'm a new fan of green-eyed susans!), plenty of honey, lots of hot peppers, and a modest selection of vegetables and grains.
Your business supports several local, sustainable farms and a vibrant community of people who take great pride in growing nutritious food. All items are grown in Maryland - most within 20 miles of the markets. Everything is grown according to the rules of the National Organic Program. Honey is raw (not heat pasteurized) from bee hives in Silver Spring, Ashton, Laurel, and Brookeville. Grains are from fields in Ashton, Beltsville, Newburg, and Leonardtown (Leonardtown is furthest away - it's ~60 miles south of DC). Here's what you'll find at the farm stands this week:
- Cut Flowers (Tanglewood Flower Farm in Ashton)
- Large mixed bouquets, small arrangements in jars, bunches of multi-colored zinnias, and bunches of celosia.
- Grains (Purple Mountain Grown in Takoma Park)
- Sorghum flour, buckwheat flour, whole wheat flour, old fashioned rolled oats, and buckwheat groats
- Honey (Charlie's Bees in Silver Spring)
- Raw (not heat pasteurized) honey from hives at small farms in Ashton, Brookeville, Laurel, and Silver Spring.
- Vegetables and Herbs
- Italian basil (Blueberry Gardens and Tanglewood Flower Farm in Ashton)
- Garlic (Somerset Produce in Ashton)
- Peppers (Dicot Farm in Waldorf and Somerset Produce in Ashton)
- Hot peppers: Bulgarian carrot, cayenne, habaneros, fish, and anaheim
- Sweet peppers: mini and full sized varieties in red and orange
- Potatoes (Somerset Produce in Ashton) - Purple Majesty (purple skin, purple flesh), and Harvest Moon (purple skin, gold flesh).
- Summer squash (Somerset Produce in Ashton) - bi-color yellow and green crookneck squash - limited quantities
- Tomatoes (Somerset Produce in Ashton)
- Cherry tomatoes - red and orange varieties
- Full sized red tomatoes
I think that's everything!
You can find this bounty at one of our markets and you can order online!
I hope you're well and to see you at the farm stand :)
Thank you for your support.