Flowers, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers,
Welcome to the first blog post!
This whole website project sure has a steep learning curve - thank you for your patience as I figure it out this season!
Things at the farm are going well. We got some much-needed rain last night and the plants look like they appreciated it. At the field in Ashton, the tomato plants are heavy with green tomatoes, the sweet potato plants are looking healthy, and the squash and cucumbers are growing faster than we can pick them! The high tunnel at Blueberry Gardens has lots of ripe tomatoes and the ginger and turmeric plants are coming along nicely. The field at Tanglewood Flower Farm is gorgeous right now! The seeds that Jill and Lee started many months ago have grown into healthy plants with colorful, beautiful blooms! One of these days, I'll post some pictures. Meanwhile, here's the scoop:
Your business supports several local, sustainable farms and a vibrant community of people who take great pride in growing nutritious food. All items are grown in Maryland - most within 20 miles of the markets. Everything is grown according to the rules of the National Organic Program. Honey is raw (not heat pasteurized) from bee hives in Silver Spring, Ashton, Laurel, and Brookeville. Grains are from fields in Ashton, Beltsville, Newburg, and Leonardtown (Leonardtown is furthest away - it's ~60 miles south of DC). Here's what you'll find at the farm stands this week:
- Flowers! (Tanglewood Flower Farm in Ashton)
- Summer flowers are here! We have beautiful mixed bouquets, bunches of multi-colored zinnias, stunning lisianthus, sun flowers, and more. There's nothing like fresh cut flowers to brighten your day - or someone else's!
- Grains (Purple Mountain Grown in Takoma Park)
- The talented growers at Purple Mountain Grown produce oats, brown rice, buckwheat, whole wheat, and other grains in fields in Ashton, Beltsville, Leonardtown, and Newburg.
- Honey (Charlie's Bees in Silver Spring)
- Raw (not heat pasteurized) honey from hives at small farms in Ashton, Brookeville, Laurel, and Silver Spring.
- Vegetables and Herbs
- Italian basil (Blueberry Gardens and Tanglewood Flower Farm in Ashton)
- Cabbage (Somerset Produce in Ashton) - the last cabbages until fall! Round heads with smooth green leaves and excellent flavor. Small and medium sized heads.
- Cucumbers (Somerset Produce in Ashton) - several varieties are ready this week: classic green slicers and picklers (which are also tasty fresh), Silver Slicers (thin skin, great flavor), and Poona Kheera (golden skin, great flavor, and very juicy). Try something new!
- Garlic (Somerset Produce in Ashton)
- Bunched greens (Somerset Produce in Ashton) - Chard and curly kale
- Peppers (Somerset Produce in Ashton) - a small quantity of purple bell peppers, which taste like green peppers. More to come!
- Potatoes (Somerset Produce in Ashton) - Dark Red Norland new potatoes have thin pink skin, white flesh, and excellent flavor. Enjoy these beauties within a month or so.
- Summer squash (Somerset Produce in Ashton) - dark green zucchini, bi-color yellow and green crookneck squash, and light green cousa squash. Try them all!
- Cherry tomatoes (Blueberry Gardens and Somerset Produce in Ashton) - orange, red, and purple varieties
- Full sized red tomatoes (Blueberry Gardens in Ashton)
I think that's everything!
You can find this bounty at one of our markets and - starting this week - you can order online!