Pumpkin centerpieces, Thanksgiving markets, greens, grains, and honey!
Happy Friday! This week's news is that we'll be at two markets on Tuesday, 11/24 to help make your Thanksgiving celebrations beautiful and delicious!
On Tuesday, 11/24, we'll be at the Pike Central Farm Market in Rockville from 9 AM-1:30 PM, and at Sibley Memorial Hospital in DC from 11 AM-2 PM.
Tanglewood Flower Farm is making beautiful centerpieces with flowers arranged in locally grown carving pumpkins! You can see samples at the markets this weekend and order in person or online. We'll also have plenty of sweet potatoes and greens for your Thanksgiving tables.
Meanwhile, this week's vegetable harvest includes bite sized loose greens, full sized bunched greens, peppers, salad turnips, and sweet potatoes. Here's the scoop.
Your business supports several local, sustainable farms and a vibrant community of people who take great pride in growing nutritious food. All items are grown in Maryland - most within 20 miles of the markets. Everything is grown according to the rules of the National Organic Program. Honey is raw (not heat pasteurized) from bee hives in Silver Spring, Ashton, Laurel, and Brookeville. Grains are from fields in Ashton, Beltsville, Newburg, and Leonardtown (Leonardtown is furthest away - it's ~60 miles south of DC). Here's what you'll find at the farm stands this week:
- Cut Flowers (Tanglewood Flower Farm in Ashton)
- Large mixed bouquets, small arrangements in jars, centerpieces in pumpkins, and dried arrangements that will last a year or more.
- Grains (Purple Mountain Grown in Takoma Park)
- Old fashioned rolled oats, oat groats, buckwheat flour, rye flour, hard and soft wheat flours, popcorn, and brown rice.
- Honey (Charlie's Bees in Silver Spring)
- Raw (not heat pasteurized) honey from hives at small farms in Ashton, Brookeville, Laurel, and Silver Spring.
- Bunched greens (Blueberry Gardens in Ashton and Somerset Produce in Ashton)
- Salad greens (Somerset Produce)
- Spicy salad mix - a mix of mild and spicy greens
- Tatsoi - a dark leafy green that functions like spinach
- Tokyo bekana - a very mild mustard, similar to romaine lettuce
- Peppers (Somerset Produce in Ashton)
- Hot peppers: adjuma, cayenne, habanero, and lemon drop
- Green and purple peppers
- Sweet peppers: mini and full sized varieties in red and orange
- Salad turnips (Somerset Produce)
- Tender white turnips with great crunch and sweet flavor. No need to peel!
- Sweet potatoes (Somerset Produce)
- Beauregard - classic sweet potato with moist orange flesh
- White bonita - sweeter and drier than beauregard
I think that's everything!
You can find this bounty at one of our markets and you can order online!
I hope you're well and to see you at the farm stand :)
Thank you for your support.