Spicy mix, arugula, pea shoots, mini butternut squash, peppers, and more!
It's been a busy week at the farms! We helped Purple Mountain Grown wrangle some enormous daikon radishes from their field of beans, set up drip irrigation at Tanglewood Flower Farm, and harvested two of my favorite crops: luffa and sweet potatoes. The luffa yielded well and we laid them out in the barn loft to dry. I think they'll be ready in about a month. The sweet potatoes are curing at Blueberry Gardens. You'll see them at market next weekend.
Your business supports several local, sustainable farms and a vibrant community of people who take great pride in growing nutritious food. All items are grown in Maryland - most within 20 miles of the markets. Everything is grown according to the rules of the National Organic Program. Honey is raw (not heat pasteurized) from bee hives in Silver Spring, Ashton, Laurel, and Brookeville. Grains are from fields in Ashton, Beltsville, Newburg, and Leonardtown (Leonardtown is furthest away - it's ~60 miles south of DC). Here's what you'll find at the farm stands this week:
- Cut Flowers (Tanglewood Flower Farm in Ashton)
- Large mixed bouquets, small arrangements in jars, and dried arrangements.
- Grains (Purple Mountain Grown in Takoma Park)
- Old fashioned rolled oats, oat groats, buckwheat flour, rye flour, hard wheat flour, and brown rice.
- Honey (Charlie's Bees in Silver Spring)
- Raw (not heat pasteurized) honey from hives at small farms in Ashton, Brookeville, Laurel, and Silver Spring.
- Bunched greens (Blueberry Gardens in Ashton, The Farm at Our House in Olney, and Somerset Produce in Ashton)
- Salad greens (Somerset Produce)
- Pea shoots
- Spicy salad mix - a mix of mild and spicy greens
- Tokyo bekana - a very mild mustard, similar to romaine lettuce
- Potatoes (The Farm at Our House) - Golden Globe, buff skin with light yellow flesh
- Winter squash (Somerset Produce) - mini butternuts with amazingly sweet flavor
- Daikon radishes (Purple Mountain Grown) - large roots, no greens
- Peppers (Somerset Produce in Ashton)
- Hot peppers: adjuma, cayenne, habanero, and lemon drop
- Green and purple peppers
- Sweet peppers: mini and full sized varieties in red and orange
- Salad turnips (Somerset Produce)
- Tender white turnips with greens. No need to peel!
I think that's everything!
You can find this bounty at one of our markets and you can order online!
I hope you're well and to see you at the farm stand :)
Thank you for your support.