Tomatoes, garlic, grains and more!
Time is flying - I can't believe it's already the end of August! It's also well into the day and I'm late with this post. Thank you for your patience!
It's been a busy week at the farms. We're preparing the ground for winter cover crops, scouting for the last few cucumbers, watching the winter squash for signs that they're ready, and hoping to have a handful of ripe watermelons this week. We'll probably harvest the last of the potatoes today. After we dig them from the field, we can store them in the barn for several weeks until they find their ways to your homes. The zephyr summer squash (bi-color yellow and green crookneck) continue to produce as do the tomatoes.
Speaking of tomatoes, they're on sale again this week! Full sized tomatoes are just $3 per pound, and cherry and grape tomatoes are $4 per pint. We also have lots of tomato seconds, which need to be trimmed and used quickly. Those are available for $1.50 per pound. Online, we're selling them in 10-lb increments. At the market stands, you can buy them in custom quantities.
Your business supports several local, sustainable farms and a vibrant community of people who take great pride in growing nutritious food. All items are grown in Maryland - most within 20 miles of the markets. Everything is grown according to the rules of the National Organic Program. Honey is raw (not heat pasteurized) from bee hives in Silver Spring, Ashton, Laurel, and Brookeville. Grains are from fields in Ashton, Beltsville, Newburg, and Leonardtown (Leonardtown is furthest away - it's ~60 miles south of DC). Here's what you'll find at the farm stands this week:
- Cut Flowers (Tanglewood Flower Farm in Ashton)
- Large mixed bouquets, small arrangements in jars, bunches of multi-colored zinnias, and large white hydrangeas.
- Grains (Purple Mountain Grown in Takoma Park)
- Sorghum flour, buckwheat flour, whole wheat flour, rye flour (limited quantity), old fashioned rolled oats, and buckwheat groats
- Honey (Charlie's Bees in Silver Spring)
- Raw (not heat pasteurized) honey from hives at small farms in Ashton, Brookeville, Laurel, and Silver Spring.
- Vegetables and Herbs
- Italian basil (Blueberry Gardens and Tanglewood Flower Farm in Ashton)
- Cucumbers (Somerset Produce in Ashton) - this may be the last week for cucumbers!
- Garlic (Somerset Produce in Ashton)
- Peppers (Somerset Produce in Ashton)
- Hot peppers: Bulgarian carrot, cayenne and habaneros
- Sweet peppers: mini and full sized varieties in red and orange
- Potatoes (Somerset Produce in Ashton) - Purple Majesty (purple skin, purple flesh), and Harvest Moon (purple skin, gold flesh).
- Summer squash (Somerset Produce in Ashton) - bi-color yellow and green crookneck squash, and a few dark green zucchini
- Tomatoes (Somerset Produce in Ashton)
- Cherry tomatoes - red and orange varieties
- Full sized red tomatoes
I think that's everything!
You can find this bounty at one of our markets and you can order online!
I hope you're well and to see you at the farm stand :)
Thank you for your support.